The Mad Dater online dating blog

The Mad Dater - An Online Dating Blog

Diatribe of a Mad Dater - "Because there's a Bastard in all of us"

Why Write a Dating Blog?
Why All The Bastard Names?



The Best Of The Mad Dater:
Girls Like you Don't Get Married
Bastards I Won't be Dating
The Threesome That Never Was
Player Pie- A Dating Recipe
Dear Condom Manufacturers
The Bastard I'll Always Love - Hip Hop
Break Up Stages
Seinfeld's "The Thing"
Bastard Affective Disorder
November Sweeps
The Oh No You Did Not Girls
The Punisher Bastard
Fiction: The Original Bastard

The More Introspective Mad Dater
Still Missing My Dad
The Night My Mother Disappeared
Now My Brother & I Don't Speak
My Mother Was a Cheater
My Dad's Funeral Was a Joke
The Introspective Mad Dater


Email The Mad Dater

Dating Blog Archives:


Copyright Notice:

© 2003-2010, The Mad Dater.
All written content on this blog
is copyright protected

As if you care about my dating life! But since you're reading this dating blog....

Wednesday, January 25, 2006
And We Said We Wouldn't Be Like Them 

My brother and I were really close growing up. So close that people used to think that were boyfriend and girlfriend because we were always together. When we were younger we watched cousin argue with cousin and uncle argue with uncle and promised each other that when we grew up we'd never be like that. We'd never fight. We'd never let the time come when we wouldn't speak to each other over trivial arguments as the older members of our family had.

I guess only children can be this optimistic about the future. Because here I sit writing this blog post about my relationship with my brother and I'm writing it in the past tense.

Sometime after the day my mother left in the middle of the night my brother and I stopped talking to each other. Instead of speaking to each other weekly as we had in college, we would speak to each other monthly and then only on special occasions like a birthday or Christmas.

Maybe if we spoke to each other more, we couldn't keep our conversations to the basics, like: "How is your family?", "How's school?", or "How's such and such?". Maybe if we spoke more, we'd have to ask each other questions like: "Why do you think mom left?" and "I'm hurting and I don't know how to put it into words. Do you feel the same way?". Maybe if we spoke to each other more, we'd have to admit that we cried at night and wondered aloud to God, how could our mother just leave us without a word.

So we spoke to each other less. And now since my dad has passed away, we don't speak at all.


This is part of a series of Wednesday posts to my dating blog called: The More Introspective Mad Dater. See Also: Those Three Little Words Were All I Had & Last Friday's Dating Blog Post Was Supposed to be Funny.

The Mad Dater - Later kids

Let Me Know What You Think. Leave a Comment:
Permanent Post Link | 0 comments


And We Said We Wouldn't Be Like Them - The Mad Dater Dating Blog
New Posts From The Mad Dater